Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post lyrics for the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
There's some artist repetition because my songs-with-lyrics selection on my Macbook is not so great.
1. Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough
If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
HINT: a hit within the last 12 months
Snow Patrol, "Chasing cars"
2. When you reach Kyoto send a postcard if you can,
And please convey my fond regards to Chih-Hao's girl Yu-Lan.
I heard a rumour they were getting married
But someone left the papers in Japan.
HINT: recently a San Francisco band covered this album in its entirety
Brian Eno, "Burning airlines give you so much more"
3. In the haze of the morning, China sits on eternity
And the opium farmers sell dreams to obscure fraternities
HINT: same album as #2
Brian Eno, "China My China"
4. Then it looks so real I can see it
And it feels so real I can feel it
And it tastes so real I can taste it
And it sounds so real I can hear it
HINT: mentioned recently in a G/E context
Buzzcocks, "Why can't I touch it?"
5. I have stood here before inside the pouring rain
With the world turning circles running round my brain
The Police, "King of Pain", wide_rider
6. They were beautiful. The most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. Ah, the sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere.
HINT: Hmm. Um, a Steve Reich piece is sampled prominently.
The Orb, "Little Fluffy Clouds"
7. If again the seas are silent
In any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive
Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.
Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, "Here Comes the Flood", theblackmare
8. I'll find a place somewhere in the corner
I'm gonna waste the rest of my days
Just watching patiently from the window
Just waiting, seasons change, some day, oh oh,
My dreams will pull you through that garden gate
HINT: probably #1 on my Desert Island Tracks list
Brian Eno, "I'll come running"
9. They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.
The Buggles, "Video Killed the Radio Star", kivrin
10. You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're all right
Oh, and that's all right with me
Bruce Springsteen, "Thunder Road"
11. There's a stain on my notebook
Where your coffee cup was
And there's ash in the pages
Now I've got myself lost
Squeeze, "Black coffee in bed"
12. I was feeling part of the scenery
I walked right out of the machinery
Peter Gabriel, "Solsbury Hill", theblackmare
13. Jai guru deva om
The Beatles, "Across the Universe", penwiper26
14. Sickness will surely take the mind
Where minds can't usually go.
The Who, "Amazing journey/Sparks"
15. And try not to bleed on my couch
I've just had it steam-cleaned.
Rupert Giles & Four-Star Mary, "The Exposition Song", kivrin
16. You know your culture from your trash
You know your plastic from your cash
Peter Gabriel, "Steam", almost guessed by theblackmare
17. And there's ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now:
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred Guernsey cow.
Tom Lehrer, genius, "The Hunting Song", theblackmare
18. I'll shine up the old brown shoes, put on a brand-new shirt.
I'll get home early from work if you say that you love me.
Cheap Trick, "I want you to want me", wide_rider's husband
19. And how's about you, my pretty one?
Do you still smear yourself with jam?
How's about you, my pretty one?
Do you know who I am?
Robyn Hitchcock, "The man with the lightbulb head"
20. But listen to the
color of your dreams
HINT: you've heard of it, guaranteed
The Beatles, "Tomorrow never knows"
21. It wasn't meant to happen like this
I need more time to set things right
Anthony Stewart Head, "End Game", theblackmare
22. Photographers snip snap
Take your time she's only burning
This kind of experience
Is necessary for her learning
HINT: covered in "Velvet Goldmine"
Brian Eno, "Baby's on fire"
23. Well at night when you're asleep,
Into your tent I'll creep.
HINT: jazz standard
The Beatles, "Sheik of Araby"
24. Let your feelings slip boy but never your mask boy
HINT: lager lager lager
Underworld, "Born Slippy"
25. Stop walking down my street
Who do you expect to meet?
Tom Petty, "Don't come around here no more"