You know how this one goes: Put iTunes on random, pick the first N songs that show up, paste in some lyrics, guess away! I'll strike 'em out when they've been guessed correctly.
Only I had to skip a lot, because about 80% of my Macbook music inventory is instrumental good-to-program-to music. And I avoided the first lines of lyrics if they gave the game away. Some of these are obscure; some are dead easy.
Still unguessed: a song by the most famousest band ever, one by their rough contemporaries, another 80s item, and two really obscure 70s prog items.
- There's a stain on my notebook where your coffee cup was
Squeeze, "Black Coffee in Bed", mireille719 & seldomifever
- You know, sometimes, I don't know why, but this old town just seems so hopeless
Tom Petty, "Here Comes My Girl", wide_rider
- When the night shows / the signals grow / on radios
Peter Gabriel, "Here Comes the Flood", nutterbudgie
- Once you picked her up on your antenna / You'd never be free of her spell.
Tom Lehrer, "New Math", myconoclast
- I would say I'm sorry / If I thought that it would change your mind
The Cure, "Boys Don't Cry", writtenhistory
- Drive boy dog boy / dirty numb angel boy
Underworld, "Born Slippy .NUXX, psychoadept
- There are some things you can't cover up with lipstick and powder
Dave Edmunds (or Elvis Costello), "Girls Talk", seldomifever
- Deep river runs its course to the warm horizon / Shadows of falling leaves / October moon and rusty skies
Chicane, "Autumn Tactics", fairygothmum
- Well you're slim and you're weak / You've got the teeth of the hydra upon you
T-Rex, "Bang A Gong", mireille719
- There’s fodder for the cannons, and the guilty ones can all sleep safely
XTC, "Senses Working Overtime", writtenhistory
- You spurn my natural emotions / You make me feel like dirt / And I'm hurt
the Buzzcocks, "Ever Fallen in Love", mireille719
- I often wonder what he is feeling / has he ever heard a word I've said?
The Who, "Go to the Mirror, fairygothmum